When I was a freshman in high school Ihad the opportunity to live with the amish. This is where my love for making pie began. My amish mom made a pie for supper one evening and pie filling as well. This was so interesting to me as my family didn’t make pies growing up. No, I was not sheltered but we just didn’t eat or make pie.
My love for pie has grown over the years and within the last year has really taken off. I love to make them for potlucks, dinner, and just for fun. I have found stock piling my pie filling and even having crust in the freezer makes for a quick dessert.
I’ve since tweeked my recipe and found my favorites. Pie really isn’t has hard as it sounds. I make mine in my food processor!!
2 1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup COLD butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold water
I throw everything into my food processor but the water. I process until it’s crumbly then I slowly add in the water.
after the dough has come together in a lump I will use it right away or you can chill your dough. This makes enough dough for a double crust pie and probably a little extra.
To bake I start single crust pies low at 350 degrees but for double crust I start at 425.
I love being creative with my crust tops!! I always felt pie tops were always so boring so I started looking around for cookie cutters or ways to make pie tops more fun.
These are my favorite cookie cutters for pie.
From here I just create. I sometimes have an image in my mind but I just start cutting and placing them.
The trick to having such beautiful tops is making sure everything is cooked evenly!! The bottom crust, filling and top crusts. It’s hard.
I’m still working on cook times.
- Using COLD ingredients like butter, water helps keep your dough from shrinking in the oven.
- When rolling your dough out put the dough between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper so you dont have to dirty your counter and have a nice handle on the dough.
- Watch the pie. Don’t leave and expect it to bake like a cake. Check back make sure it isn’t burning around the edges
- Place a pan under the pie for catching spills.
- Have fun making it. It shouldn’t be stressful.
- Practice. If you want perfection in a pie make a bunch. experiment with baking time, ingredients in the dough.
I hope you enjoy what knowledge I have about pie making. Would love to hear your tips and tricks on baking!